Apply for cluster
To obtain a account on cluster do the following:
- Go to http://www.bnl.gov/world.
- Follow links to guest registration(under "bnl site access" toolbar)
- Fill out the Brookhaven National Laboratory Guest Registration Form
- Purpose of visit Research
- BNL Department Associated with Computational Science Center
- Choose "remote access"
- Experiment/Facility NONE
- Facility Code NONE
- Type of Research Open Research
- Type of Access Requested Physical On-Site Access
- Expected Start Date = One month or less from today
- Expected End Date = Two years after start date
- Number of days you estimate to be onsite over a two-year 180 Days intermittently
- Subject Code for this Visit/Assignment Biomedical Sciences, Applied Studies
- Justification of visit/assignment Member of Robert C. Rizzo Lab, Stony Brook Univ.
- Host Jim Davenport
- Name of Current Affiliation SUNY @ Stony Brook United States New York
- Type of Affiliation University
- Job Title PhD Student
- Field of Work or Research Structural Biology
- After approval, you should receive via e-mail a BNL "Life Number"
- Use life number, take 2 online web courses at http://training.bnl.gov, and be sure to print out conformations that you have taken the online courses
Cyber Security Guest Site Orientation
- You have to wait for one day after cyber security to apply for accounts
- For Cluster, apply for SSH Gateway access account and a BNL domain account
- By Yulin: For Cluster, apply for SSH Gateway access account and Unix System.
- Request a username to be your lastname
- If you need a Blue Gene Account, also select:
- Uses Putty to generate a public and private key; never share the private key with any one.
- e-mail public key to BNL help desk at email@example.com.
- They will e-mail you back confirming that you have a gateway account.
- Next, test your account by doing the following:
Open putty and save a session 'bnl_cluster' having hostname: ssh1.bnl.gov and port 22.
Also enter private key for authorization.
After logging in to gateway, it will ask you for the passphrase for key (if you assigned one during key generation). Log on to cluster (ssh cluster) using the password that they emailed you for the BNL domain account and change password. The password should comply with their security requirements.
In order to use SSH client do the following:
- setup a tunnel under ssh-gateway session
- open Secure Shell Client software.
- create a profile.
- edit profile.
- insert your username instead of "username" mostlikely your last name.
- one can also now view cluster details at
you can subscribe to this list here:  (internal web site).
After logging on to cluster, check that your shell is tcsh.
If not, mail the help desk to change it to tcsh.